Application Procedure for undergraduate Courses

This section explains the process of applying to New Zealand universities and colleges for Under Graduate (Bachelor Degree or equivalent) courses.

If you have any doubts or require any further information,
please use our Helpline service.

Send enquiries at least 8 to 12 months before the proposed date of admission. There are three ways to get application forms.
  • Requesting Application Forms via email : You can request application forms from the university websites. Most universities have a form on their website which can be completed online to request application material.

  • Downloading from the Net : Many universities have a downloadable and ready to print versions of their application forms on their websites. They can be used for applying.

  • Collect Forms from University Representatives : Most New Zealand universities have representatives in most major cities across the world. You can contact agents/representatives for application forms as well application guidance.

Admission to a University in New Zealand requires a completion of twelve years of elementary and secondary education.

In the Indian context, this implies qualifying in class 12th examination or junior college as applicable.  The acceptable degrees include : Indian School Certificate, Intermediate Certificate, Higher School Certificate, Higher Secondary Certificate, All India Senior School Certificate.

Most universities ask for a minimum of 75% aggregate marks and a minimum of 60% in English.

In case the criteria is not met, you may be required to complete one year of education in any university in India or do a foundation course in some university in New Zealand.

Any further details can be discussed with the respective universities.

Application Requirements

Students who are applying for a Bachelor's program or any other undergraduate course are required to submit a secondary school report and transcripts (report cards) of the final exams.

Most universities accept only original or certified true copies of academic certificates and transcripts as evidence for the purposes of admission.

Documents may be certified as true copies by a justice of the peace, or a notary public, or a solicitor, or a commissioner of oaths, or an official of the institution that issued the document.

If the transcript is in a language other than English, then it must be translated into English only by the issuing authority or university.

Standardized Tests


If the student is not proficient in English, he may be required to take the IELTS (International English Testing System). Every institute has its own minimum scores with respect to this test.

IELTS : For most courses and institutes, International students are required to take IELTS (International English Language Test) which is regularly administered by the British Council. A minimum score of  6.5 is usually required by most institutes.

If the student doesnot obtain the minimum score required by the institute, he/she will have to go in for a 3 to 9 month bridging course in English at the institute before the start of the chosen program of study.

Some universities and colleges may accept TOEFL scores instead of IELTS scores.